Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manga of the Week - Sidonia no Kishi  (Read 2272 times)
Prince of Sarcasm
« on: Aug 16, 13, 01:19:53 pm »

This week, our series spotlight has shined on Sidonia no Kishi suggested by Yenkaz.  If you are unfamiliar with this series be sure to check it out!

Series Summary:
Outer space, the far future.

A lone seed ship, the Sidonia, plies the void, ten centuries since the obliteration of the solar system. The massive, nearly indestructible, yet barely sentient alien life forms that destroyed humanityís home world continue to pose an existential threat.

Nagate Tanikaze has only known life in the vesselís bowels deep below the sparkling strata where humans have achieved photosynthesis and new genders. Not long after he emerges from the Underground, however, the youth is bequeathed a treasured legacy by the spaceshipís coolheaded female captain.

Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 13, 03:01:09 pm »

Sounds interesting, I'm giving it a try later. By the way, why is there only one manga of the week this time around?

"Joke aside" there is no life
Legendary Uploader
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 13, 05:20:12 pm »

Tsutomu Nihei is the MAN. Loved Blame! but it's next to impossible to buy good and inexpensive copies since they're Tokyopop OOP (out-of-print) books. I do buy Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia) volumes when they're released in English, which reminds me I do have to buy volume 4 and Gantz v28. I pray that one day they will make Blame! omnibus edition books.

You jive turkeys...
Prince of Sarcasm
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 13, 06:31:19 am »

Lap17 - we're trying something different this week

Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 13, 11:21:14 pm »

I recommended a series ages ago (May, I think), so I know the only-one-series this week isn't from lack of recommends. Not complaining or anything, just obsrvation.

That said, this looks like a cool series, will definitely check it out. I check out the ~Manga of the Week~ usually about 75% of the time, and I'm rarely disappointed.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 13, 04:45:57 pm »

I enjoyed Biomega and Blame! and promptly marathoned through the entirety of Sidonia. It's without a doubt my favourite of his works. I feel like he's really expanded his emotional palette and brought more sense and internal consistency to his worlds.

Many of his prior works feel as though they were bogged down by his desire to express chaotic and visceral action and insane random technology. With Sidonia, his mechanical designs seem to have a lot more form and purpose to them, his stories more coherent and easier to follow, and a much stronger central plotline. He seems to have really gotten his act together, making his earlier works(especially Blame!) seem like a bland, jumbled mishmash by comparison. At last, his art is supporting his storytelling, rather than being in constant battle against it.

Also, one of the recurring characters is a talking bear, so you had better read Sidonia.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 13, 06:48:42 pm by moatdd » Logged
Legendary Uploader
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 13, 12:40:50 am »

I liked your review moatdd. I can agree with it.

You jive turkeys...
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 13, 07:23:42 pm »

This one seems interesting. Might start reading this one. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: