Stay Logged In?

MangaTraders ForumsSiteFront page updates/AnnouncementsManga of the Week - Chihayafuru & Baby Steps
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manga of the Week - Chihayafuru & Baby Steps  (Read 1882 times)
Shadow Queen
« on: Jun 08, 13, 10:23:19 pm »

This week, our series spotlight has shined on Chihayafuru & Baby Steps.  If you are unfamiliar with these be sure to check them out!

Series Summary:
All her life, Chihaya's dream was to see her model sister become Japan's best... That is, until a quiet, unassuming transfer student named Arata tells her otherwise. A dream, he explains to her, is something she needs to work at herself.
Arata plays a competitive version of a traditional Japanese card game--known as Hyakunin Isshu--in a way Chihaya has never seen before. After taking Arata's place in a game, Chihaya discovers she has a passion for it. Now Chihaya wants to become number one in the world, the Queen of Karuta.

-

Series Summary:
Maruo Eiichirou (Ei-Chan), a first year honor student, one day decides he's unhappy with the way things are and lacks exercise. He finds a flyer for the Tennis Club and decides to check it out. He's instantly captivated by it. With no prior experience and poor physical conditioning, join Ei-Chan as he embarks on a tennis journey using his smarts, dedication and work ethic.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 13, 10:57:24 pm »

I definitely agree! I love Chihayafuru! It's so easy to get caught up in the story.
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 13, 02:28:46 am »

Been following Baby Steps for over a year. Loved intellectual type stories since I was young. Recommended to anyone who wants to read a manga that depicts a story that can actually happen in real life.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 13, 11:24:17 am »

Thanks for Chihayafuru! I've been introduced to such an amazing world, of Karuta which I hadn't no inkling of! It just makes me wonder how many beautiful mangas lie out there waiting to be discovered ^_^ Loved every second of it!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 13, 07:27:47 pm »

Baby Steps is a superb sports manga. It is fairly realistic and very respectful of tennis. The only "magical" element that is used is the lead character's superb kinetic vision and even that is kept at the edges of realism. Instead it follows the somewhat OCD main character's transformation from a non-athlete to a formidable player through hard work, proper training, thorough analysis, and a steady progression of "baby steps to giant strides".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: