Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manga of the Week - Gin no Saji & Otoyomegatari  (Read 2960 times)
Shadow Queen
« on: Jun 10, 12, 12:35:30 pm »

This week, our manga spotlight has shined on Gin no Saji suggested by Catfish017 & Otoyomegatari suggested by wiemma.  If you are unfamiliar with these manga be sure to check them out!

Series Summary:
The young boy named Yugo Hachiken apparently aspires to live separated from his family. So he takes his chances by enrolling to an agriculture school, one which requires its students to live at a dormitory. He thinks, with his talent in studying, no problem will arise no matter what kind of school he goes to. But he is proven wrong. Grown up as all-easy-to-get city boy, he is forced to uncover not-too-convenient truths about agricultural life. Enjoy the story of Hachiken, as he is trying to keep up with his friends, farmers' heirs who are already accustomed to hardworking farm life.

-

Series Summary:
Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori (Emma, Shirley) brings the nineteenth-century Silk Road to lavish life, chronicling the story of Amir Halgal, a young woman from a nomadic tribe betrothed to a twelve-year-old boy eight years her junior. Coping with cultural differences, blossoming feelings for her new husband, and expectations from both her adoptive and birth families, Amir strives to find her role as she settles into a new life and a new home in a society quick to define that role for her.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 12, 01:15:59 pm »

Lavish is indeed not an incorrect word with Otoyomegatari, for it's undoubtly graphics wise one of the best manga I've read. The attention to detail is impressive. Unfortunately the release speed is inversely proportional to the production values. I started to read the manga in 2009 with one volume out, and now it's three volumes out... Still, I have reread the manga to refresh my memories and it was just as good if not better the second time through.

I ought to note, though, that the description above might give a bit incorrect image by impressing Amir as the sole main charater. That's not really the case. The manga tells about a bunch of diverse characters in total and Amir is only partially at the center of it - if anywhere near the attention at all. In that sense it's a historical depiction of the area and era as much as personal drama. Nevertheless, I have yet to see a central character in this manga that wouldn't be interesting and worth reading about.

What comes to Amir and her young husband... Well, I'm biased so that an older woman and a younger guy is totally cool in my book, whereas a younger girl and an older dude is suspicious. So, I actually found their relationship amusing and entertaining.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 12, 11:00:38 pm »

If you are a pure action junkie Otoyomegatari may be too slow for your tastes. However, if you don't mind more of a slice of life story in a historical setting then it will charm you with its stories and all its wonderful visual detail. Highly recommended.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 12, 07:13:05 am »

Both are great manga IMHO. Thanks for the recommendation.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 12, 11:20:18 pm »

Both mangas look really nice. I've read Emma so I'm really looking forward to the author's new manga. Thanks for the recommendations.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 12, 07:46:25 am »

Actually the story of Otoyomegatari does not focus on Amir but rather follows the trip of a foreigner in those lands (cf vol. 3). Not much of an issue though, the stories remain really good and the graphics outstanding :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: