Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manga of the Week - Area no Kishi & Elfen Lied  (Read 2371 times)
Shadow Queen
« on: May 06, 12, 12:14:20 pm »

This week, our manga spotlight has shined on Area no Kishi suggested by happiidayy & Elfen Lied suggested by stefen.  If you are unfamiliar with these manga be sure to check them out!

Series Summary:
Aizawa Kakeru is an energetic and dedicated eighth grader who serves as the manager for his school’s football team. Though he was well known for being a talented player the previous year, an accident during one of his games caused Kakeru to vow never to play competitively again. Still passionate about the sport, Kakeru dreams of one day becoming a professional football trainer so that he can work alongside his older brother Suguru, the ace of the school team who has represented Japan in international competition.

-

Series Summary:
The story involves human mutations called "dicloniuses," who grow horns on their heads and possess telekinetic powers, in the form of invisible "arms" called vectors. The tendency for violence among dicloniuses varies among characters. Certain scientists contain them in a Facility in cells, where they are subject to inhumane experiments to test their abilities or where they await execution for being too dangerous.  An infectious virus is also associated with the mutation. This virus is spread through non-lethal contact with the vectors of a diclonius. The main non-mutant character in the story is Kouta, who ends up becoming increasingly involved with these dicloniuses, as they seek refuge from the scientists. The main diclonius character is Lucy/Nyuu, a killer whose alter ego is a hapless and very cute child whose vocabulary and intelligence are quite limited. After a large amount of choice occurrences, the lives of these two characters become inexplicably intertwined.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 12, 04:04:35 pm »

It's hard to believe someone might not know of Elfen Lied, either the anime or manga, if not both.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 12, 08:20:02 am »

Elfen Lied is one of the best mind f@$k anime/manga out there. Anybody who has graduated from cutesy elementary anime/manga would've (should've) had Elfen Lied as the valedictorian.

"All men are not created equal." Charles Li Brittania, 98th Empereor of Brittania
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 12, 11:19:38 am »

jesus... save yourself guys. don't read elfen lied. it's one of the worst mangas i've ever read. if you're the type who likes to w@nk while looking at manga or anime girls, fine but if you're in for the story, save yourself.

Stereotyping is a form of corruption and it\'s exclusive for idiots.
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 12, 05:40:52 pm »

The end of Elfen Lied was fucking awful. Sad

I was very disappointed since as the earlier posters said, it's one of those "my first anime" shows that everyone watches. When the manga finally finished years after the show did, I wanted to know how they ended it. I'm a big Elfen Lied fan (mostly a fan of Lucy) and...

Trust me, do NOT bother. The ending was easily in my top 5 for worst endings ever. The series was fine up until then, but there is NO payoff.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 12, 01:49:07 pm »

Trust me, do NOT bother. The ending was easily in my top 5 for worst endings ever. The series was fine up until then, but there is NO payoff.

I read the manga for a while, but then heard pretty much the same you just said and dropped it. Elfen Lied was one of my early animes as well, and I want to keep my image unspoiled by a poor manga ending.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: