Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manga of the Week - Shingeki no Kyojin & Zetman  (Read 3738 times)
Shadow Queen
« on: Feb 19, 12, 12:13:33 pm »

This week, our manga spotlight has shined on Shingeki no Kyojin suggested by sadcrescentmoon & Zetman suggested by sadcrescentmoon and JackSkellington.  If you are unfamiliar with these manga be sure to check them out!

Series Summary:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.
Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Elen and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.

-

Series Summary:
Jin is a mysterious kid who looks to be about 6-10 years old being taken care of by his beggar grandfather. He has a totally unknown past, we see him beating up thugs and purse snatchers early on (for a 10,000 yen reward), but in the next scene his grandfather has to explain to him the importance of money, and the meaning of love, kindness, death, and other common sense parts of life.
Their idyllic life is interrupted by a mysterious monster much stronger than Jin. He kills Jin's grandfather, but not before dying himself (courtesy of gramps). Jin doesn't understand death, and ends up being taken care of by Akemi, a girl who he rescued before. We also learn that Jin isn't exactly human and seems to have superhuman strength and regeneration. He is called Zet by several men who are searching for him from the Amagi corporation, a classic "super-company," immensely powerful and with many different branches, including some suspect research involving creating a "perfect human."
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 12, 01:31:59 pm »

Shingeki no Kyojin is horrible, why is this winning awards? Great concept gone very wrong. Ugly generic faces on everybody, scratchy art that makes action scenes unreadable, horrible crimes against perspective and anatomy, cliche 'out for revenge' writing. Why would tall walls keep out giants? In medieval times, they didn't even stop normal humans more often than not.
Stupendous Uploader
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 12, 04:20:15 pm »

the zetman anime premieres in april! here's the trailer link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QSqE1Tul0
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 12, 06:45:13 pm »

Thanks for the Shingeki no Kyojin recommendation. Mdvega's criticisms are valid (if exaggerated) but the first two volumes have been lots of fun so far.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 12, 05:59:38 am »

Shingeki no Kyojin is horrible, why is this winning awards? Great concept gone very wrong. Ugly generic faces on everybody, scratchy art that makes action scenes unreadable, horrible crimes against perspective and anatomy, cliche 'out for revenge' writing. Why would tall walls keep out giants? In medieval times, they didn't even stop normal humans more often than not.
If you care about smoothy, gorgeous picture, Shingeki no Kyojin probably doesn't suit your taste, you'd better go read other mangas, don't write such mean comments when yours is the first comment on this article

Shinge no Kyojin is the best shounen manga I ever read for a long time, the story is really interesting, it always makes me can't stop reading it. The manga has fantasy component as Titan, but is really realistic. The folk's attitude toward Scouting Legions, the soldiers's spirit during the fight, the technique and equipments they used to kill the Giants...
I'm really impressed by this manga, I can't wait for the next chapter comes out...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 12, 07:49:37 pm »

reading the critiques I've found from  Shingeki no Kyojin got me curious what the manga is all about... and one things for sure... it got me hooked...
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 12, 11:16:01 am »

I am surprised because I was super curious after reading the storyline and now I am hooked... Cannot go to sleeep, have to read them all.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 12, 01:33:55 am »

Why would tall walls keep out giants? In medieval times, they didn't even stop normal humans more often than not.
obviously these guys are chinese and knew how to build a wall.
anyways read the story liked it
Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 12, 10:46:05 pm »

Why would tall walls keep out giants? In medieval times, they didn't even stop normal humans more often than not.

If you were to pay attention you might notice that the giant are not very smart. It might be true that smaller (cos big walls in story were done for, if ever, by strategic minds and no strength alone, the Trojan war been an excellent example) could had been destroyed by humans, but never by mind less animals.

"Joke aside" there is no life
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 13, 12:03:01 am »

Shingeki no Kyojin is seriously a terrific manga, one of the best manga/story I ever read so far.  The story is very engaging, full of mystery, and keeps you on the edge constantly (the chapter endings have the most frustrating cliffhangers EVAR).

Although I have to agree that the art is not the best, it plays pretty well on the creepiness of the giants.

Once you pick up this series, I bet you you won't stop until you finish all the current issues.  However, I'll also guarantee you that you'll be emotionally drained when you're done.  This manga is seriously NOT merciful to its characters and their despair is so eminent.

I never miss a new chapter of Shingeki, but I feel I need to be emotionally ready to read.   Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: