Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Late Update on New/Changed Features  (Read 2240 times)
Frequent Contributor
« on: Aug 20, 11, 04:41:29 am »

I have canceled this week's series of the week because it's long past due that I officially go over some of the new and/or updated features that have been implemented on the site over the last few months.  I'll try to start with the simpler stuff and work our from there.  If all you do on this site is download you probably won't care that much and can skip this post.  However, if I see questions about these issues in the Site Support section later and the answers are in the post I will be most unhappy.

Minor Cosmetic Changes
The Mangatraders logo at the top of every page is now a link to the front page of the main site.  The 'Browse Manga' link now goes to the more detailed extended series list instead of the title only series list.  The simpler list is still accessible via a link on the extended page.  The forum link has been moved further to the right so that the series and upload related links are on left and communication related links are on the right.

Search Results Changes
You may have noticed the default number of search results has been increased from 10 to 20.  In addition, we have separated out each alternate title for every series.  The search will return all titles that match a given query with links to the appropriate series page.  What this means is that for every title in our database that matches a search term you'll see a link to a series page.  If more than one title for the same series matches the search you'll see more than one link to that series, one for each matching title.  The search results are still sorted by the ranking of the series so multiple titles that match the same series will appear right next to each other anyway, this may change in the future as it's kind of lame. 

NOTE - Filter has suggested that instead of the new one title per line search result method I make the alt titles an indented list underneath the main title for each series where at least one title matches the search and keep the text highlighting of the old search.  If you would prefer that to the new title search results method please speak up in the discussion thread.

Series Page Editing Changes
In order to facilitate the new title displays we've also changed the interface on the edit page for entering alternate titles.  The new interface requires you to enter or remove alternate titles one title at a time instead of entering them all at once and separating them with commas.   To add a title you type it into the appropriate box and click the 'Add' button to the right.  This will tentatively add the title you typed in to the title list.  The change will not be made permanent until you click the button to update the entire series info form.  If you wish to undo the addition of a title and try again you can cancel it without submitting the form.  You'll understand what I'm talking about best if you go and look at the series edit page.  This change requires

Another change on the series edit page is the ability to indicate relationships between series that are on the site.  The interface is similar to the new alt title interface but involves an extra step.  After you add a related series the title will automatically be checked against the database of series titles behind the scenes.  If an exact match is found the title you typed in will become a link to the appropriate series page to let you know the relationship would work if added.  If no match is found the title you entered will change to indicate this.  You may also use the MT series id number instead of a title to make a relationship; this will let you avoid worrying about an exact title.  Like the new alternate title interface you'll have the opportunity to cancel tentative relationships before you submit the whole form and update the series page.  For more information about how to properly use the related series feature please see the post below this one in the forum thread.

NOTE: These series pages editing changes both require JavaScript to be enabled on your browser to function.  If you have disabled it you will not be able to edit alternate titles or create series relationships.

Another change is that normal users are no longer allowed to remove genres from series without oversight from the staff.  We have had a few cases of genre vandalism and it's been determined that it's worth it in the long run to put staff members between this action and the community.  Now when you try to remove genres from a series a message will be sent to the staff and if the removal is deemed warranted it will be carried out, otherwise it will be ignored.

Changes to Extended Series List
I have reworked the filters on the Extended Series List to use JavaScript instead of reloading the whole page every time you want to narrow the list more.  I have also combined the exclusion and exclusion filters into one interface.  Clicking on a genre name will update the list to only show series that have that genre.  Clicking again on the same name will show all series that do not have that genre, clicking a third time will make the list neutral to that genre.  As before, up to 8 genres can be filtered either inclusively or exclusively. 

A notable drawback to this change is that now the url for the extended series list will not reflect the filters that have been applied.  Old style extended list urls that lead to filtered pages should still work but if you wish to make new ones you'll have to figure out the genre codes yourself and put them together manually.  In the future I'll probably provide an old style link that you can book mark that will change as the filters are changed.

If you use any of these features and encounter problems please let the staff know by posting in the Website Issues section either in an existing thread that matches your issue or a new one if none exists.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 11, 08:47:18 am by Yukimura » Logged

Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 11, 04:41:50 am »

Additional Information on Series Relationships
When entering a relationship and selecting the type you should choose the type from the perspective of the series you are editing. For example if you know Series A has a spin-of named Series B you would enter 'Series B' into the relation field on Series A's edit page and set the relationship type to Spin-Off.  When submitted this will automatically create a reverse link on the page of series B showing that it is adapted from Series A.  The reversal link process works both ways for sequel/prequel relationship types but for other types of relationships it is best to start with the first or primary series and add the adaptations or alternate stories or spin-offs to that series to avoid any odd behavior. 

Series that consist of chains of sequels should be entered starting by adding all the sequels to the first series and then filling in the 'sequels to the sequels' only as necessary.  For example, a series with 3 consecutive sequels would need relationships to all 3 sequel series added to it manually.  The first sequel would only need the last two sequels added manually as the first sequel would automatically get a prequel link from the relationship created on the first series.  The third sequel would only need the final sequel added manually and so on.  Relationships can get complicated and the system isn't exactly perfect with respect to addressing them so please be careful when adding relations to series.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 11, 11:24:42 am by Yukimura » Logged

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 11, 12:29:45 pm »

I had noticed some of the changes and I really liked them, especially the related series links Cheesy About the search, I think Filter's idea is really good.
Thanks for keeping us updated!

I want to be the whisper of a city that doesn't know who I am...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 11, 05:39:37 pm »

The filtering system doesn't work..Is this only my computer or do you have any trouble now?

it works already..
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 11, 10:51:42 pm by albertcr7 » Logged
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 11, 01:06:41 pm »

Good work, Yuki. Your ancestors in their graves will be proud of you.

I have even forgiven the decision to translocate the forum link to the right.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 11, 07:28:31 am »

I did really like the recommendations in the series of the week though. They're a lot better than usual automated ones on websites Smiley
Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 11, 09:06:56 am »

Actually, I like your posts about the manga of the week. They are very good, short and intriguing. I was able to discover and read several manga I would have, otherwise, completely overlooked. And I was never let down in my choices, solely based on your recommendations. Thank you very much for your work.
Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 11, 09:37:17 am »

Series of the Week will be back next Friday people, where is this silly idea that it will not be done anymore coming from?

Prince of Sarcasm
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 11, 02:42:18 pm »

I have canceled this week's series of the week because ...etc etc

Some people might have missed the "this week's"

Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 11, 12:21:57 pm »

I actually did. Happens, after all, as much as I would love to, I'm not a native English speaker. Sorry! Glad to hear I made a fuss post over nothing ^^. Thank you Yukimura for all the work you and the staff do on this great website.
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 11, 07:42:58 pm »

Good work, Yuki. Your ancestors in their graves will be proud of you.

i'm not familiar with technical things, but i feel that MT one step forward already (it's easier to navigate)
cheers for Yukimura&staffs Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: