Stay Logged In?

MangaTraders ForumsSiteFront page updates/AnnouncementsPOLL: What information matters most to you when browsing for series?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: What information matters most to you when browsing for series?  (Read 25636 times)
Frequent Contributor
« on: Jan 13, 11, 04:47:07 pm »

As you all are hopefully aware the go to method for browsing for new series on Mangatraders is the Extended Series List page.  In an effort to get feedback from the community I have established this poll to determine if any information should be added or removed to make the page better for its intended purpose to the community at large. 

Please keep in mind that while the extended series list is meant to be a convenience we have no intention of making visiting series pages obsolete.  The point of the extended series list is to give a quick peek at a series to help you determine if you're interested in learning more about it.  It is not meant to enable you to make up your mind to pick up a new series immediately.

From the options in this poll please select 5 (Or less, please remember, don't go out of your way to pick 5 if you only strongly care about 3.  Over voting could help make the 2 you didn't care about as much seem more important than the 3 you really did.) the options you would most care about when browsing through series trying to decide what looks good.  Also If you have any comments about the browsing system overall please feel free to share them in the thread.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 11, 06:06:51 pm by Yukimura » Logged

« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 11, 07:00:05 pm »

1. Genre is the most important. A little experimention showed me I really dislike some genres (yaoi for example) and only occasionally like others.

2. Next is brief summary so I can discard set-ups that make me go yuck (like teacher-student relationships), or sound too like other series I have read, or where the protagonist spends most of the series being depressed. I can talk to depressed people any day so I prefer to skip reading about them.

3. Completion and scanlation status.

I love short stories but there is not a good way of searching for collections of short stories - they do not turn up in One-Shots. I turned up a fair few searching for words like collection and anthology from the series search page.

Thanks for this site and all your work!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 11, 08:16:37 pm »

The genre and then the summary are what I look at, with the summary being the most important.  If I like what I see there I will download the first volume/couple of chapters.

One option that is also important to me, but not listed above, are series that were originally licensed and had some volumes released here in the U.S., but were dropped by the U.S. publisher partway through the series and now one can only find the unpublished works in scanlation form.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 11, 08:19:16 pm »

Hi there and thank you for the poll!

For me, I'm kinda superficial so the cover art is a biggie for me, well it'll attract me first at least ^_^

If I'm just lookin around and find something I like, then I'll search for anything I can find by that same Author/Artist and exhaust that Wink

I'd like to know how long the series is and if it's complete or not. I rely on that info from here and BakaUpdates since I can't read or write any other language. And since it's pretty reliable info in both places, I don't look any further Tongue Plus since I'm a wuss when it comes to cliffhangers, I only like to read completed stories Embarrassed

I mainly read Yaoi but if a description sounds good or someone gives a recommendation and it's non-Yaoi, I'll still give it a try Cool

Thanks again for the poll! *hugglz*

Luv,
GiggLz.

GiggLz, Yaoi FanGirl
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 11, 08:44:11 pm »

1.-As other people say Genre is the most important. A little experimention showed me I really dislike some genres (yaoi for example) and only occasionally like others.

2.-The second is the author.Is great to have a way to look for the same author since usually you already know his/her work will be good.

3.-The last one that I check is the MT Rating/Ranking for new things that can be good. Cheesy

Thanks keep the good work
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 11, 08:54:56 pm »

I'd have to say:

1. Genre - Sometimes I'm in the mood for something different than what I've been currently reading and this helps narrow things down and it also allows me to avoid those areas I have no interest in like Yaoi.

2. Summary - Depends of course on the quality of the summary, some are better than others. But if it sounds like it has an interesting hook, I'm more likely to bite.

3. Completion/Scanlation status - Summary and genre may sound good but I usually don't look at stuff that has only 1 or 2 chapters out, most manga take several chapters before it hits its stride. Also if only a few chapters were scanned and its been dropped or its years since an update, I'm less likely to be interested. This helps the decision process.

Search function usually works pretty well, but under browse manga I don't care for how small the alphabetical letters or page numbers are. But that's mostly a nitpick.

Thanks for your hard work and making this site one of my favorite places to surf.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 11, 09:08:00 pm »

1. Genre
2. Summary
3. Cover Picture - I would say its just as important as the summary, as you can tell alot from it
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 11, 09:41:57 pm »

Cover Image: Oh wow that drawing look so *f* cool/awesome what does it mean! (First impressions are important)

Author/Artist: I need to know who did that wonderful art I.MUST.GOOGLE-IT, that person will have his/her own folder full of her/his art/work.

Scanslation/Completion Status: You're hook to that manga but WAIT, you will never know if it has a happy/tragic/etc ending. (?) manga wasn't completed or the scan group just dropped it.

Genre List: Oh wow that manga looks awesome it has shonen, school life, supernatural, martial arts OH BOY! wait, what and... YAOI!? no way I'll pass that *walks away from computer*

Well, that's my opinion LOL ♥  ( A ♥ 801)
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 11, 09:44:01 pm »

1) Series Type
2) Genre List
3) Cover Image
4) Author/Artist
5) Brief Summary
Accomplished Uploader
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 11, 09:50:39 pm »

1.  First would be the Genre because I browse depending on my mood.

2.  Next would be the Summary because if the story does not sound interesting then I will not read it.

3.  Third would be Cover Art, if the art does not appeal to me I do not want to read it.

4.  Finally would be the completion status, I prefer top read complete series at one time, I have enough that I    wait on, I do not want to add anymore to that list.

You guys Rock Still, Miss You all!!!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 11, 10:22:29 pm »

i would like to see a section called "related series"
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 11, 10:35:14 pm »

i only check the summary... i don't really care about the genre or only loyal/read certain mangaka's works... i read everything indiscriminately... well, maybe the cover page too, to sort of check out if the drawing is within my taste...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 11, 10:40:16 pm »

Cover Image: If the cover art isn't eye catching I really won't take the time to read it.

Scanslation/Completion Status: This is really important to me because I would HATE to start reading a manga only to find out that the scanlation group dropped it or the series was cancled.

Known Volume Count: I'm the kind of person that after I read I like to buy the manga one(or more) at a time.

Genre List: Depending on how I'm feeling I read certain things so this really helps locate great manga!

Brief Summary: I'm a sucker for very discriptive things so if a summary is very detailed I'll check out that series!

SasuHina pwns new borne babies!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 11, 10:51:55 pm »

1. Brief summary: with this, I could know which was my type and saved my time from choosing.
2. Cover Image: sometimes I miss good manga just because their cover was suck. Beautiful covers are always attract me.
3. Scanslation/Completion Status: I hate hiatus/discontinue series. So this information really important to me
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 11, 10:59:27 pm »

1. Scanlation/completion status- this is the most important one for me. I read only completed series because I can't stand waiting for the next chapter to be released. And then I get bored and move on and forget the series because it takes too long to find out what happens next.
2. Series type- with so many series available out there and so little time to read them all, I have to limit myself somehow. So only manga.
3. Genre list- definitely important. I restrict myself to romance + shoujo/josei. Really helps me narrow down my manga.
4. Brief summary- this is not as important as the first 3. But I still use summaries to get a better sense of the series. There are some romance + shoujo/josei series with summaries that lead me to think that they're duds. So I decide not to spend time on those series.
5. Cover image- least important, but still something I check out from time to time. Obviously if something has stick figure graphics, I may be better off checking out some other series.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: