Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black God/Kuro Kami  (Read 1135 times)
Apprentice Uploader
« on: May 18, 08, 08:44:47 am »

Wow, now here's an interesting manga (I think it's a manga). Black God is written by a Korean author, but is arranged in the traditional manga right-to-left format! I'm not sure exactly what the original language was, but it's set in Japan with Japanese names and the "extras" where the author talks about the story they mention having to research about Japan (to be able to draw the backgrounds) and joke about not being able to read the first volume of Black God that got released!

My Overall Rating: 9/10 (As always, discussion is below.)

Either way, here's the MT link and description:
http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/281
Scanslation Status: 7 Volumes (Ongoing)
Black God is about a 19-year-old aspiring game designer who meets a Mototsumitama (divine spirit) over a bowl of ramen and ends up losing an arm because of it. He wakes up the next morning with the arm intact and discovers that every person's fate is split between three identical bodies known as "triple-liners".

The description isn't very clear, so here's some more general information. I'm going to start discussing what I thought of the series after this bold section, so stop reading after the bold if you don't want to be spoiled. Basically it's a romance, fighting, save hte world type of manga. Mototsumitama are powerful beings, sort of like demigods, that form contracts with humans by exchange. I was a bit misled by the description, the fact that Keita (the male lead) lost his arm and it got regenerated has nothing to do with every human being a "triple-liner." He got his arm back because he switched it with Kuro (the female lead) to form a "contract," which enhances both parties' strength and powers. The "triple-liner" thing is a fact of their Earth, 3 identical looking people share fates, but live in different parts of the globe. If they see each other (by chance usually), the weaker one becomes fated to die. Weaker images will have extremely bad luck until they kick the bucket, then once there's only 1 of 3 remaining the strongest is known as a "root," and has good fortune and enhanced strength.

There were a few really cool things that I liked about this manga. I'm going to call it a manga since it's right-to-left, the characters are Japanese, etc etc. In truth, I'm not sure if it's a manga or a manwha. Since it's a Korean author, you can really see the classic Korean elements in this story. (Maybe it's cause I just got finished with Immortal Regis, a manwha, but it was all very pronounced for me.) Anyway, the main character is very independent, strong-willed, and a bit of an asshole (this is the big thing). Of course, that's just what he presents to the world, a lot like the heroes in many of the manwhas I've read. Also, the language and dialog is extremely dirty ("What the fuck do you think you're doing, you piece of shit!?!" is something Keita might say to *Kuro* when she goes for some free food from his refrigerator, not even an enemy but his love interest.).

That's one of the slight gripes I had with this manga. It's not very clear in terms of who the main guy really likes. I *think* it's going to be Kuro, but I can't tell if they're going to be together in the end. It might turn out to be some kind of reverse Blood+.
Blood+ Spoiler: I hope it doesn't though, it seems to be less of a danger in the more recent volumes. That blond chick was really posing some problems in the first volumes. What I hope is she's going to be a permanent "childhood friend who loves the main guy but doesn't get any" person (you know how common THOSE characters are). That's a pretty "well defined" roll for her to have, and leaves Keita open to stick with Kuro. Cheesy

Back to the Korean parallels, well, I dunno, I'm sure there are more but I haven't read enough manwha to be sure. Tongue I'd say the overall "system" (setting, fighting system, power structure, etc) is pretty Korean. Fairly rigid in terms of "powers," there's one special move per Mototsumitama, and they use it a lot in battles with each other. That's a bit subjective, but take it how you will.

Which reminds me, one reason I really like this manga is that the main guy doesn't take things lying down. That's the case in a lot of Korean stuff, I sorta mentioned that before, but I was sort of upset in the first volumes. He was pretty much worthless as a human, and they didn't let us forget it! When Mototsumitama were fighting, he basically had to hid or just stand and watch. However the "Thousand" that he gets was really awesome imo, and it's really great that he's going to have power to compete with the enemy (notice the extreme similarity between his light power and Kuro's brother's light power. Reminds me of Flame of Recca. Final showdown between the 2 of them inc?). Also, the Sai training was hella pro, I'm sure I'm not the only one that got reminded of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Tongue That's the last place I've seen Sai used, I hope Keita uses them in real combat soon!

One last parallel to Korean stories I noticed was a LOT of video game references. Since we all know Koreans are freaking beasts at video games (especially Starcraft, afaik that's still big over there). Tongue So it was somewhat expected for Keita to have a video game addiction and to be a brilliant video game designer. I wonder if they'll have time to advance his career, there's no way he should be able to right now though.

And in conclusion, ARGHHHH only 7 volumes atm!!! Things are just being revealed/unfolding action-wise, and Keita's/Kuro's relationship is (maybe?Huh IDK!) getting off the ground, then it has to go and get to the end of what's been scanlated/released!!!! From what I can tell, this is gonna go on for a good bit, depending on if they introduce some "higher" evil or not. Maybe only a few more volumes if her brother is the "final" fight, but even that could take forever! Sad
« Last Edit: May 18, 08, 08:53:08 am by asd12 » Logged
Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 08, 08:40:02 pm »

Necroing this one to point out that the main character's a complete asstard and completely unlikeable.

The series has promise though, but seeing a girl getting beaten up churns my insides even if it's drawn... ><

Yes, One Piece is supreme.
There's no point arguing with idiots. They'll just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 12, 11:10:08 pm »

This manga is now complete in Japan and has been picked up recently by a scanlation group again. Looking forward how it turns out!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: