Stay Logged In?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenshi Ja Nai!!  (Read 1933 times)
Apprentice Uploader
« on: May 13, 08, 12:17:29 pm »

No topic for this manga, so here goes. Smiley Oh, and don't be fooled by the cover image, the drawing looks nothing like that, and it's not a scene from anywhere in the manga.

Genre: Gender Bender, Shoujo, Romance, Drama (MT says it best, I have to agree with their chosen genres). It's VERY similar to W-Juliet (guy dressed as a girl at a all-girls school, can act well, girl is his roommate, etc etc). I loved both W-Juliet and Tenshi Ja Nai, don't get me wrong! TJN has its differences too though, read on to find out what I mean.

For those of you that haven't read it and are looking for a quick summary, here:
http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/971
Hikaru Takabayashi wants nothing more than a normal life but when she enrolls at an elite all-girl's high school and gets roomed with the uber popular idol, Izumi Kido, normal is the last word that could describe her life. And if devoted fangirls wasn't bad enough, Hikaru accidently discovers that Izumi's a wolf in sheep's clothing -- or more appropriately, a guy in girl's clothing. Between getting dragged into escapades to keep his identity secret and dealing with the usual high school drama as it is, Hikaru experiences an exhausted but life-changing high school career.

Now on to the good stuff.

******SOME SPOILERS AHEAD edit:(only general ones, now that I'm reading back over it)******

(Sorry, no names. I never bother remembering them once I've stopped reading! That doesn't take away from this manga though, I can barely remember the names of any manga characters with pure Jap names. Tongue)

I really enjoyed this manga. I downloaded it a while ago, but never read it. I admit, I was a little put off by the cover, it didn't seem to be in my taste. Those of you who have read it will know what I'm talking about when you look at that image on MT. Completely OOC for 2 out of 3 of those characters. Tongue

This manga had a great combination of romance and humor. I found myself pulled into the characters the whole time, but I didn't miss laughing at them at the right spots. It's pretty rare for me to laugh out loud (literally, not typing), but I did several times with this manga. The main girl is just too funny.

I thought it was neat that they gave a reason for the guy to have to be disguised as a girl, and the reasons kept piling up. It was nice for him to really hate being a girl, no weird vibes from him. Wink

You don't see such a strong love rival for the main guy often in a series. More props to TJN for putting such a developed character in the first half of the manga, it really makes the main guy and girl realize their feelings much faster and more concretely than usual with these manga. The flow was very good, I felt angry when the male protagonist got angry, etc etc. The love rival was also well used to show her true devotion later on to the real main guy.

What really drew me into this story was the evolution of the female protagonist. She was extremely wimpy in the first volumes, but she grew a little from every experience, and really took off in the last few volumes! It was GREAT to see a female lead that actually thinks seriously about her dream and TAKES ACTION ON IT outside of her relationship with the main guy. I LOVED that this continued on to the very end (unlike, say, Suzuka), it was exactly what I've been looking for in a romance manga.

Overall I think there were amazing amounts of character development in all corners of this manga. All the introduced characters changed somewhat, even the background schoolgirls who didn't have a major role at all changed!

At least a 9.5/10 for this manga. (Little bit is taken away for the large variance in translation fonts, sometimes it was hard to read, and it kept shrinking and getting huge between chapters in the middle. Worked itself out before the end though.) Did I mention that I stayed up all night and was just looking for a few chapters of *anything* to put me to sleep when I started reading? I didn't expect to read all the way through at ALL. My sleep didn't happen though, and I didn't even notice the time once from beginning to end (through 8 full volumes).

So yea, that was *very* unexpected, for me there are only a few manga that have caused a spontaneous marathoning on very little sleep, so this is definitely one of my favorites now. (Gotta go to sleep now though.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 08, 12:19:45 pm by asd12 » Logged
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 08, 06:16:07 pm »

If nothing else you should be complimented on the amount of work put into that post. I'm not really one for shoujo type mangas but just because of that post I think i'll give it a shot.

"In this world, some people born are like keys that move the world and
exist having no connection to the social hierarchy established by man."
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 08, 01:53:40 am »

If nothing else you should be complimented on the amount of work put into that post. I'm not really one for shoujo type mangas but just because of that post I think i'll give it a shot.

Haha thanks. I like to discuss any manga that I finish right after I'm done, and since my family doesn't read, places like MT are my best outlet when I'm home for the summer. Smiley I tend to ramble on about stuff, but I try not to repeat myself *too* much. Tongue Part of the reason is probably also that I was running on no sleep at 1 in the afternoon. When I stay up all night I'll get tired for a while, but after a certain point I get "hyper" in a way. That's how I was when I wrote that summary, which contributed to its length. Wink (In my defense, if the manga hadn't been good, I would have been sound asleep long before finishing it. It was great though.)

I hope you like it!
Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 08, 08:55:37 am »

You really should give this manga a shoot. I gave this series a 1o/1o.

I was fist attracted to it by it's cover, and then the fact that it was a comedy. So I started reading volume one, and I couldn't put it down. I bought them all except the last volume. I couldn't wait any longer, and just had to read the end using MT.
But the more you read these types of manga, the more your mind rots with shojo. But this one I recommend, it's really good.

I'm lazy.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 08, 10:01:57 pm »

I agree this is a very good manga, one of my tops too. I like it way more than W-Juliet. I tried that one for a while but got bored.

I liked the fact that the female character wasn't a complete ditz and that she did, as you said, have goals other than just a guy. Much too often female leads in shojo just sort of become stereotypical and boring. Very good character development.

I'd recommend this one too.
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 08, 12:15:06 am »

Man, and they would make this series of the week. Not that it doesn't deserve it, but this is the first time I've noticed a series of the week that I've already read! Gotta wait a whole week to get one that I can read. Sad

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 08, 04:30:17 pm »

Yea, this manga is great, GREAT. And i start reading it just because i saw it in the front page. lol I don't usually read this mangas, but i think i will start reading them more.

Proud Major of the Banana Army.

Lover of the decease HentaiTraders

My lovely brute: http://darkfilo.mybrute.com
Stupendous Uploader
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 08, 04:11:53 am »

I just know this manga from 'series of the week'. Overall, this is a good manga. It have a good storyline and a good art too..
Apprentice Uploader
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 08, 04:04:49 pm »

*might have minor spoilers*

am so glad for series of the week if it wasnt put up then i might of not come across it

i realy enjoyed this manga the female character had a very good personallity and i loved the fact that she gradually changes as you read on in the manga so she doesnt have the same attitude all the time. i found it funny how she is always trying to keep a low profile but ends up completly opposite of what she had started with. so this was definetly a different type of shoujo and not mushy like some.

i like how the guy was at the begining and how he changed to a person who thinks about trusting others aswell so that was a good point about him.
i would give this a 9/10 because as  ''asd12'' said the translation fonts changed form time to time wich kinda gave spoiled it but still loved it !!

what are you...a fortune cookie?!?...well...ummm...yeh
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 08, 12:02:51 pm »

realy a great manga, one of best Gender Bender mangas
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 09, 12:25:05 pm »

i really liked the manga !!! i actually read all the chapters online in one day !!!!! XD i rated it 10/10 Grin
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 11, 10:51:13 am »

I agree this manga is really good!
I was introduced to this manga by my cousin, and I'm not interested at first, but when I tried to read it, wow I can't help but read XDD

This manga have a good story, good art, and good ending Cheesy
The reasons, the acts, (and the ending XDD) everything is making sense

bang!
Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 11, 03:57:04 am »

I enjoyed this series very much. I bought volume 1 on a whim as it was in my local comic shop's bargain bin, and I'm so glad I did! It's like Hana-Kimi (another of my favourites) but a more manageable (and affordable) length. It's funny, cute and smart, and most importantly, I like it enough to want to read it more than once Smiley

Journeyman Uploader
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 12, 11:30:34 am »

Oh, it's certainly worth a read!
It's sad that it didn't receive much popularity. This manga helped me see Gender Benders in a completely new light.
Not only is the art good, but the story line is also amazing. Completely different and out of the ordinary.

I typeset for Midnight Scans.
Time is my enemy.
Glasses are sexy. Beards are not.
Where is the pink candy van when you need it?
Why did I ever wish to grow up?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: